Sunday, March 4, 2007

Some data finally

Since I didn't have my car this weekend I decided to code some more and while the result is not that impressive it's still going forward as planned in the right direction.

I wrote a very small exporter for 3d studio max that generates XML files for my meshes. I was somehow forced in using MaxScript for that and I don't quite like it but I didn't have the SDK so... Anyhow, it very well did the job. So I am now able to export some meshes from MAX and have them displayed in my engine. I just wrote a simple shader using effects and .fx files... but I'm not too fond of this either. I will probably be switching to writing separate pixel and vertex shaders since there seems to be a somewhat non negligible overhead to Direct3D Effects. For example it messes up all the constants all the time.

I did also some work on my editor which you can see in the screenshot below. What I like about it is that it is very much seperated from the rest of the engine, yet it works right in the engine. I just spawn another camera entity that is made for my editor and it just works. I'm planning to have an in-game editor from the ground-up as it'll save a lot of time later on.

So here's how it's looking right now...never mind the weird colored mesh ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.