Sunday, February 25, 2007

XNA

I played around with XNA and I must say I'm quite pleased as how it is designed. It is very easy to start a new project and try stuff without having to go the hard route of setting up everything correctly in order just to render a single polygon flat shaded on a Direct3D surface.

Basically, you derive a class from the Game class and you register different GameComponents that will be updated every frame. The game loop is built-in as are all the message dispatching stuff so you don't need to worry about that.

As for me, I started from scratch a new game along with an editor and I found a way to incorporate the editor easily in-game. I just created a GameComponent for it so it will get updated along with my other engine related modules. The best part of my editor though is probably my Entities editor and the beautifully designed standard Windows.Form.PropertyGrid control. All you have to do is define some public Properties in your entity classes and you'll be able to edit them easily in a property grid control. I like how you can have a lot of control and flexibility in C# .

Here's the first screenshot



There is nothing to see yet in the main window as I was working on the entity system along with the editor. Next step will be some rendering :)

No comments: